Wednesday 2 March 2011

Alcoholics Anonymous | Step 3 | March 2 | DonInLondon



Alcoholics Anonymous | Step 3 | March 2 |

Gone are the days of feeling entitled to something, that I know my rights, that I deserve this or that. I need not resort to blame or fault finding. When I ask for help and suggestions, I find out what feels right for others in any given situation. Interdependent yes, and we are all stakeholders in the outcomes...

Few experiences are of less value to me than fast sobriety. Too many times discouragement has been the bonus for unrealistic expectations, not to mention self-pity or fatigue from my wanting to change the world by the weekend.

Hope is the key that unlocks the door of discouragement. Experience in fellowship has shown me that if I do not pick up the first drink today, I can always have hope. Having come to believe that I keep what I share, every time I encourage, I receive courage. And with others, with humility and the fellowship of A.A., we "trudge the road of destiny," happy or sad. May I always remember that the courage within me is most often equal to any fear before me. With tolerance, patience, and a sober outlook, I may be on the right path today.

Into the fabric of recovery from alcoholism are woven the Twelve Steps and the Twelve Traditions, steps to be open honest and willing to learn, traditions to live unity service and recovery

Step 3 "Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him" Practicing Step Three is like the opening of a door which to all appearances is still closed and locked. All we need is a key, and the decision to swing the door open. There is only one key, and it is called willingness. Once unlocked by willingness, the door opens almost of itself, and looking through it, we shall see a pathway beside which is an inscription. It reads: "This is the way to a faith that works." We find faith in doing the next right action, based on truth, love and wisdom we learn as life unfolds.

Open To Truth, Love And Wisdom of Others [we let go having to be right, self obsessed and self medicating our lives away into oblivion and harms way]

We find it amazing that the newcomer can start the A.A. program without any specific beliefs or, for that matter, without any beliefs whatsoever. All a person needs is the open-mindedness and the willingness to believe that WE BELIEVE this program works...

"God [it is what I understand to be God or a "Higher Power," always a personal understanding we have for ourselves, there is no AA or common understanding, simply what you believe] God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference" God is often understood to be: Truth, Love and Wisdom in the moment of now... your faith, your understanding.

Alcoholics Anonymous, DonInLondon, Don Oddy, Recovery Life Works, Addiction And Recovery, Alcohol, Alcoholism

Alcoholics Anonymous | DonInLondon | Life Works In Recovery |

No comments: