Sunday 22 January 2012

January 22 | AA 12 Steps In Action | 2012 |


January 22 | AA 12 Steps In Action | 2012 | Today's AA daily reflection: "let's keep it simple," said Dr Bob to Bill. And, "let's not louse things up." Fellowship: no rules, no laws or regulations to prevent individual recovery by exclusion. The individual comes first and at the same time the “group conscience” is the decision-making process.



All my life until I got recovery, I was very much a loner and not a joiner to anything. As I read the twelve steps and twelve traditions, I realised here is a society which believes and values of unity, service and recovery. This gave me the comfort to be involved and included in something far, far bigger than me…



And the principles which guide me today begin with how to love, be loved back and useful in whatever capacity I choose in the direction my life can take. I never realised I could choose and be free to choose the direction my life can take. Of course I need follow a path which is realistic and based on reality as it is, not a fantasy or based on something I feel I might have deserved…



Yesterday's spiritual lunchtime meeting, in the spiritual hut next to the spiritual hall of remembrance was brilliant. A fantastic chair and sharing about: dealing with our emotions as they happen, rather than pushing them away and denying the feelings. I concluded I do really have feelings today, experience them as the very essence of living a spiritual existence. Feelings fitting my reality and guiding my thoughts and actions day by day…



DonInLondon 2005-2011



Marianne Faithfull, "I think drugs were used by me as a way of suppressing my natural spirit." -/-. Learning life a day at a time, I learn what I can do and cannot do, the wisdom to know the difference. My feelings more often fit the moment of now as nature intended, no need to fix me or you today...



Step One "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol-that our lives had become unmanageable"



AA Daily: LET'S KEEP IT SIMPLE ~ JANUARY 22, A few hours later I took my leave of Dr. Bob… The wonderful, old, broad smile was on his face as he said almost jokingly, “Remember, Bill, let’s not louse this thing up. Let’s keep it simple!” I turned away, unable to say a word. That was the last time I ever saw him. ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS COMES OF AGE, p 214



After years of sobriety I occasionally ask myself: “Can it be this simple?” Then, at meetings, I see former cynics and sceptics who have walked the A.A. path out of hell by packaging their lives, without alcohol, into twenty-four hour segments, during which they practice a few principles to the best of their individual abilities. And then I know again that, while it isn’t always easy, if I keep it simple, it works.

-/-

No comments: