Saturday 11 February 2012

February 10 | AA 12 Steps In Action | Step 2 | 2012

February 11 | AA 12 Steps In Action | Step 2 | 2012 | Today's AA daily reflection: "the limits of self-reliance" reminds me of how I used to be. Taught to stand on my own two feet, with a stiff upper lip and stand-up for myself and not show weakness. Pretending to be okay on outside and never knowing what was going on, on the inside…



When we are taught not to show our feelings and a phrase comes to mind "I may be hurt but I will not show it" actually blocks our emotional development. Hurt people inevitably hurt other people. Either through ignorance of their own condition, that they are actually hurt by life and so feel it's "just the way it is," to behave badly and hurt others. We need to know we are doing this before we even get to "denial" that we might be doing it, hurting people…



Alcoholics Anonymous, described from within as a "spiritual kindergarten." Where spiritual learning, understanding what our feelings are in the moment and that they fit reality. Our feelings fit what is going on, be it good or bad or indifferent. Learning what love is just day by day. We work together in unity service and recovery, simply day by day developing an understanding of what it is to be a human being in the moment of now…



Self-reliance has its place in our lives, or we are totally dependent or dominant. There is a middle ground where we keep learning from everyone around us, and others learn from us by what we actually do, the action we take on a daily basis. Sometimes we do take the lead, sometimes we follow and always we are interdependent with each other and what is going on around us. We might think it would be better to be in charge of everything, but where did it get us?



Extreme in any direction, and in particular self-reliance means we can become cut off, we look within and look inwards for solutions. And our old solutions did not work, leading to extreme fear, isolation and every other unhelpful emotion as we became distanced from reality. A reality check: How am I feeling? Why? And what can I do? These questions reveal a need to check with others around me what is going on. We share experience, strength and hope with each other so we see a balanced view, what to do next, our feelings begin fit our experience now, "reality" as best they can and keep learning, we can have courage to change…



Step 2 Reading Video Link:







"Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity"



DonInLondon 2005-2011



A meeting "after eights," Inspiring! Restored to sanity in the day. Feelings can erupt as if from nowhere, good or bad, they are real. But do the feelings fit the moment? Sometimes... What matters is sanity is restored as we pause see the big picture, laugh or cry or simply sigh... love people, hate their behaviour and forgive ourselves and others as we trudge the steps...



Self Will! At the beginning of step four, it is suggested there is nothing wrong with our "natural instincts." And in my experience when I am in balance, emotions and thinking work well. Over dependence on self will run riot when life is extreme blocks us from help and support. Restored to sanity, I can see when feelings and thinking are out of balance and I need help, always in the moment of now...





AA Daily: THE LIMITS OF SELF-RELIANCE ~ FEBRUARY 11, We asked ourselves why we had them [fears]. Wasn’t it because self-reliance failed us? ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p.68



All of my character defects separate me from God’s will. When I ignore my association with Him I face the world and my alcoholism alone and must depend on self-reliance. I have never found security and happiness through self-will and the only result is a life of fear and discontent. God provides the path back to Him and to His gift of security and comfort. First, however, I must be willing to acknowledge my fears and understand their source and power over me. I frequently ask God to help me understand how I separate myself from Him.



-/-

No comments: