Sunday 12 February 2012

February 12 | AA 12 Steps In Action | Step 2 | 2012

February 12 | AA 12 Steps In Action | Step 2 | 2012 | Today's AA daily reflection: "the root of our troubles" selfishness and self-centredness! When do we realise that we have been selfish and self-centred? Most likely a question to be asked, every day in our personal conduct. When it comes to recognising selfish and self-centred in relation to our addiction, it is almost impossible to see with any clarity. From ignorance of our condition, to denial and then to admit and accept takes time when it comes to changing our outlook day by day…



I was just watching a TV programme all about rules, laws and regulations which apply in different forms of religion. Our Fellowship, Alcoholics Anonymous is not a religious organisation, but many fellows in our society do hold religious views. I'm grateful for the early founders of our Fellowship who suggested there are no rules, laws or regulations which exclude anyone anywhere reaching out the help. There are suggestions about how we conduct ourselves in Fellowship and it always remains a personal decision about what we can do and cannot do today…



The twelve steps and the twelve traditions. Steps for personal development, open honest and willing to change. Traditions for unity service and recovery. The steps to stop us committing suicide, the traditions to stop us committing homicide. All about tolerance and love for other people and compassion as we learn together sharing experience strength and hope. This is why Fellowship works for me, not selfish and not self-centred as people when it comes to sharing a message on learning how to live life again and again and again…



I do realise over the years that bravado covered up my shortcomings. My shortcomings, not understanding the nature of faith (simple faith rather than religious faith), courage and confidence to meet real-life, that is life on life's terms and not some fiction I had thought up. Today I do have courage, faith and confidence based on what I know and the ability to keep on learning how life may be today. I can be a part of society and included contingent on my understanding that life is changing and I can be part of reality today…





Step 2 Reading Video Link:







"Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity"



DonInLondon 2005-2011



Selfishness–self-centeredness! That, we think, is the root of all our troubles



Two meetings in a day: First meeting: "Just for today" this morning, we were packed in like sardines! Newcomers to old timers, sober today. People sharing what is happening now, the themes were all about what was disturbing us in the moment, good things and bad things and as always acceptance seemed to be the key. It is the key if we can find it!



And Second meeting: Tonight was "courage to change." We can and do change every day. Experience is our teacher, not just our own, but the experience everyone shares. Practice makes progress and perfection is not our goal. Our goal is understanding what we can do and what we cannot do and simply learning the difference...



AA Daily: THE ROOT OF OUR TROUBLES ~ FEBRUARY 12, Selfishness–self-centeredness! That, we think, is the root of all our troubles. ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 62



How amazing the revelation that the world, and everyone in it, can get along just fine with or without me. What a relief to know that people, places and things will be perfectly okay without my control and direction. And how wordlessly wonderful to come to believe that a power greater than me exists separate and apart from myself. I believe that the feeling of separation I experience between me and God will one day vanish. In the meantime, faith must serve as the pathway to the center of my life.



-/-

No comments: