Wednesday 15 February 2012

February 15 | AA 12 Steps In Action | Step 2 | 2012

February 15 | AA 12 Steps In Action | Step 2 | 2012 | Today's AA daily reflection: "the AA promises" in my early days make me feel very uneasy, because there had been so many promises by so many people and by me which were broken. And the notion that life would be beyond my wildest dreams made no sense at all. The best promise turned out to be if I listen and learn and can get to bed tonight without a drink, sober I can cope with reality just for a day…



I read out the promises from the big book at a newcomers meeting this week. And I try to read it slowly and clearly, emphasising the words to give them their full meaning. I do know that life today is certainly beyond my wildest dreams. After decades of burying my head in the sand when it came to emotions and anything to do with spiritual, I keep learning just one day at a time where life and freedom of choice can take me realistically day by day. And that is beyond my wildest dreams of back then in the day…



Step two all about being restored to sanity with the help of a higher power. And after a few years of recovery I have found that sanity can be restored on a daily basis, contingent on asking for help and checking out what is going on for me with other people. The greater wisdom of the many, asking myself in good conscience where are my freedoms and what are my choices today? Less fear and more faith, less isolation and more inclusion which helps me develop courage and confidence day by day for one day only, this one…



In the AA Fellowship big book, there is a sentence in chapter five, "rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path." And the sentence made me feel uneasy in my early days in recovery. First I had to find a path, and then overcome my own self prejudice and my attitudes towards other people and their wisdom in recovery. I was still judging the world and not judging me and my actions. Once on the path of recovery, with help and support within the Fellowship and outside the Fellowship, guidance comes and I am sober one day at a time. I've often seen people fail to thoroughly follow the path. Why? Because it is the opposite of the road most travelled by addicts and alcoholics, the road to hell and certain endings in this world…



With the death of Whitney Houston a few days ago being associated with excesses and addiction to drink and drugs, it does not surprise me that the impact is felt around the world. Our Prime Minister, David Cameron declares another initiative on drunkenness and violence caused by alcohol and drugs. As we learn in recovery, it is neither the amount of drugs and alcohol people take, it is the impact it has on them and their behaviour. If the reality of life today was all that it could be, and that people have realistic expectations in what Mr Cameron described as a fair society or as he put it, "the big society" then people would not resort to misbehaviour and excesses and addiction? My opinion, no one chooses addiction and nobody chooses exclusion from a good society…





DonInLondon 2005-2011



Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us–sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them...



I have found reality to be the greatest gift, the ability to cope with what is going on now in my life as it happens, with less denial and less grief. Clearing the wreckage of the past with forgiveness, with love and humility means I can see today with clarity. I feel right sized and equal right now...



"The Power Of Love"- Maxim Gorky "When one loves somebody, everything is clear - where to go, what to do - it all takes care of itself and one doesn't have to ask anybody about anything." When I am sober, more of life is clear, and in fellowship clarity comes with listening and sharing life on lifes terms..



Learning to learn again in every moment without fear, shame or guilt opens up the doors to a new way of living ~ Robert Frost "Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence." some say "beyond our wildest dreams," for me "now" is no longer my worst fears of being found out..



AA Daily Reflection: TAKING ACTION ~ FEBRUARY 15, Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us–sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them. ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 84



One of the most important things A.A. has given me, in addition to freedom from booze, is the ability to take “right action.” It says the promises will ALWAYS materialize if I WORK for them. Fantasizing about them, debating them, preaching about them and faking them just won’t work. I’ll remain a miserable, rationalizing dry drunk. By taking action and working the Twelve Steps in all my affairs, I’ll have a life beyond my wildest dreams.



Step 2 Reading Video Link:







"Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity"



-/-



No comments: