Tuesday 21 February 2012

February 21 | AA 12 Steps In Action | Step 2 | 2012

February 21 | AA 12 Steps In Action | Step 2 | 2012 | Today's AA daily reflection: "we are part of something bigger than us again!" The horror at the end of my drinking, isolated and alone and hoping that after each bout of drinking I would not wake up was a constant way of thinking. And only when I thought it could get no worse and I was still alive did I realise that being at the end of my drinking life was the start and opportunity to join in life again with nothing and no expectations or attitude of deserving anything. Being able to join a Fellowship which could help me be included in life again made me feel suspicious and hopeful and doubtful, with just a glimmer of a chance…



If I haven't heard early on, "take the cotton wool out of your ears and put it in your mouth" I doubt I would have listened and kept on listening to what was going on. From a small glimmer to a bright light took a while in my recovery. And the idea of a higher power being the wisdom of the many sharing experience strength and hope in the rooms of AA took hold. If they could recover, I could and all I needed to do was join in and get to bed each day without a drink...



Society seems to have taught us how to judge each other and form prejudice in all manner of human activities. Addiction and alcoholism is often seen as a self inflicted wound by those who do not have it, whatever the addiction and worse by those who do have it and cannot get out of it. Self prejudice kills most people, and self prejudice stops us from getting help when we most need it. Those most afflicted are often the harshest critics before recovery. And society still makes people feel shameful and guilty about illness…



If I could have pulled myself together, I would have…





DonInLondon 2005-2011



When I first came to A.A., I decided that “they” were very nice people–perhaps a little naive, a little too friendly, but basically decent, earnest people (with whom I had nothing in common). I saw “them” at meetings –after all, that was where “they” existed - As Bill Sees It



Restored and included in fellowship we are connected in all elements of life ~ Albert Schweitzer "Love . . . includes fellowship in suffering, in joy and in effort." -/- We need work it, to be worth it, a balance in humility and esteem..



Out of isolation into inclusion, a shock to our outlook, we are part of life again ~ Albert Schweitzer "We don't live in a world all our own. Our brothers and sisters are here, too." -/- It was never all about me..





Unity, service and recovery, we can be a part of living ~ Emily Dickinson "If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain; If I can ease one life the aching, Or cool one pain, I shall not live in vain." -/- No one human more or less important than another, lest we forget..



Spiritual encompasses all elements of living in reality ~ Simone de Beauvoir "One's life has value so long as one attributes value to the life of others, by means of love, friendship, and compassion." -/- We are responsible, when anyone, anywhere reaches out for help..



I do need to lean on the many in fellowship, and get help outside the fellowship when I am out of my depth. Experience has taught me the limits of what I can and cannot do. In fellowship as a non professional and as a citizen in daily life, when there is an emergency, we call emergency services and apply first aid as we may be trained...



AA Daily Reflection: I'M PART OF THE WHOLE ~ FEBRUARY 21, At once, I became a part–if only a tiny part–of a cosmos…. AS BILL SEES IT, p. 225



When I first came to A.A., I decided that “they” were very nice people–perhaps a little naive, a little too friendly, but basically decent, earnest people (with whom I had nothing in common). I saw “them” at meetings –after all, that was where “they” existed. I shook hands with “them” and, when I went out the door, I forgot about “them.” Then one day my Higher Power, whom I did not then believe in, arranged to create a community project outside of A.A., but one which happened to involve many A.A. members. We worked together, I got to know “them” as people. I came to admire “them,” even to like “them” and, in spite of myself, to enjoy “them.” “Their” practice of the program in their daily lives–not just talk at meetings –attracted me and I wanted what they had. Suddenly the “they” became “we.” I have not had a drink since.





Step 2 Reading Video Link:









"Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity"



-/-



No comments: