Tuesday 24 April 2012

April 24 2012 | AA 12 Steps In Action | Step 4 "Inventory" | Alcoholics Anonymous

April 24 2012 | AA 12 Steps In Action | Step 4 "Inventory" | Alcoholics Anonymous Today's AA daily reflection: "learning to love ourselves…" The Beatles song, "all you need is love," and it's easy when we keep it simple, and yet love in its simplicity, and acceptance of love, I and many made it so complicated and so conditional upon?

I feel for most of my life, the concept or the simple understanding of love seemed to evade me. Unconditional love is seen in expression and we learned, if we were lucky from our family community and society. And yet when I was growing up, the expression of love in its simplicity did not seem to be present, or if it was I could not recognise it. To express love for another opens the door to the deepest vulnerability and fear when we do not understand that love has no conditions attached…

And the idea of learning to love ourselves without conditions is very difficult in a world which is hell-bent on assessing who we are, what we can do and then judge it over and over and over again. Unconditional love and acceptance of being a human who needs to keep on learning life, needs to keep on making new ventures, some will work some will not, and accepting there are things we cannot change and having the courage to change the things we can. Usually we need most to have faith, courage and confidence to wake up each day and start afresh…

Our thorough self-appraisal, the step four "fearless moral inventory" is all about learning to live with less fear and learn how to find strength in not knowing and not trying to control outcomes, simply live the best it can be one day at a time. Often when we look at other people and their mistakes, or simply their emotional and spiritual progress, in good conscience and with love we can be so forgiving. If we can get near to even a small percentage of that forgiveness we afford to others, then there is potential to let go and become our own best friend. Humility is not self-effacing, humility is accepting that will have a right to be here and including ourselves in life, and we need keep learning life, one day at a time…
-/-
AA Daily Reflection: LEARNING TO LOVE OURSELVES Alcoholism was a lonely business, even though we were surrounded by people who loved us… We were trying to find emotional security either by dominating or by being dependent upon others . . . We still vainly tried to be secure by some unhealthy sort of domination or dependence. AS BILL SEES IT, p. 252
When I did my personal inventory I found that I had unhealthy relationships with most people in my life-my friends and family, for example. I always felt isolated and lonely. I drank to dull emotional pain. It was through staying sober, having a good sponsor and working the Twelve Steps that I was able to build up my low self-esteem. First the Twelve Steps taught me to become my own best friend, and then, when I was able to love myself, I could reach out and love others.
-/-
Step 4 "Fearless Inventory" Reading Video Link:

"Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves"
-/-
I do not speak for Alcoholics Anonymous I speak for myself. Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of unique and authentic people who speak for themselves where they will to share experience, strength and hope about recovery on a daily basis. Anonymity affords sanctuary to find how to live sober and be open, honest and willing to learn life day by day. For me "truth," "love" and "wisdom" offer the best spiritual experience by living reality today. Into the fabric of recovery from alcoholism are woven the Twelve Steps and the Twelve Traditions, steps to be open, honest and willing to learn, traditions to live unity, service and recovery.
-/-
Spiritual principles ~ Forgiveness Acceptance Surrender Faith Open-mindedness Honesty Willingness Moral-inventory Amends Humility Persistence Spiritual-growth Service
-/-

No comments: