Monday 7 May 2012

May 7 2012 | AA 12 Steps In Action | Step 5 Admit And Accept | Alcoholics Anonymous

May 7 2012 | AA 12 Steps In Action | Step 5 Admit And Accept | Alcoholics Anonymous Today's AA daily reflection: "Respect for others…" Step four and step five, all about developing self-respect and respect for others. It is not about how other people treat us. And the reflection goes on to suggest that we need be hard on ourselves and considerate of other people… Good conscience, open honest and willing to change our attitudes and behaviour daily…

Recovery is all about humility to keep learning life. Developing better attitudes and behaviour, by knowing who we are today, how we are feeling, how our moods impact on our thinking and our actions. The old life, the old attitudes that we had towards others, we can change our outlook daily. Another saying often used, "keeping our side of the street clean," and "what they think of me is none of my business." It is what I do, not what they do…

To love and cherish people generally, can be a very tall order and something that humans will always be challenged by on a daily basis. In many philosophical books, the words, "love thy neighbour" are there for a reason. And in fellowship we learn about tolerance and love. Learning how to tolerate ourselves as individuals and be loving toward ourselves. If we cannot do that, we will always be pulled back into old prejudices and self destructive thinking…

Even today, when I hear the challenge to my beliefs and my attitudes, I can feel the conflict and know there is malice in some remarks I hear. I don't raise up these days and try and push my point of view on other people because there is no point. And when others deliberate in a controlling manner, I don't have to like what they say and I don't have to like them, they too have a right to be here…

Being fair, open honest and willing, I need to listen and keep on listening. That is how I learn what is right for me. Respectful towards myself and then I keep learning how to be respectful towards others and absolutely acknowledge the diversity of human beings and everything that we do. "Similarities not the differences," that is how it works in our society, or there will be no society at all…

DonInLondon 2005-2011

Sharing our life story, our journey into recovery, with the right person as time unfolds, we emerge and develop new confidence in being included and loved by our fellows. A new path of truth, we will falter, feel red hot, feel life return, as the problems are understood, solutions in the "now" become credible as balance cools our outlook, we become "cool" too...

Uncertainty and respect.. Not knowing, powerless over people places and things we learn there is nothing to fear as we become human sized and as vulnerable as every human today. We begin to respect diversity, share and evolve our outlook, acceptance of now and courage to keep changing is key in our solutions...


May 7 2007

Bank Holidays and No Holidays - DonInLondon ‘Day In the Life’
Last night I went to Flood St for the 7:30 AA meeting. it’s a good evening to go to a meeting. In fact any evening is a good evening to get along and hear some experience strength and hope. Which is of course is a key to live sober.
Someone said a long, long time ago, there are no days off in recovery which is why I get along to a meeting most days.
I left early last night, two reasons, I knew my blood sugars were off a bit, I could not read the signs on the walls and there was disturbance in my head from to and fro’s between the sharing of fellows. And of course being a bank holiday there were more people than usual. In truth the combination of not seeing too well and the dark coming on, with the added disruptions was impeding my listening and absorbing.
I have learned when I am disturbed, well not to ignore it these days. And disturbance makes my life feel out of kilter if I persist and pretend all is well.
And leaving early felt the best solution. I did text a friend to offer my best wishes to the person giving the chair. Hopefully they were conveyed. The effort counts less than if the message was received just yet. It feels a bit disrespectful to go early. And it is, but and the but is to take care of me and not just sit for the sake of it.
The Chair
A very resolute strong message from the speaker tonight. And of course I can identify with most anyone’s message of experience strength and hope.
I did not get where I am today without experiencing many of the horrors of alcoholism.
The Shares
There seemed some people who felt themselves a bit special and different, and they said so. In the fellowship I have learned when we do exhibit special and different feelings they usually come from our ego, rather than our esteem.
There are no real differences for an addict, we do our worst, and the worst is simply being stuck in the disease rather than recovering from it. The notion that anyone’s journey into disease and dependence is any the less worthy of note really is not true. However we get our addiction we can rest assured there are no cushions as we hit rock bottom.
Rock Bottom
The place where we languish. it’s a hard and horrid as anyone can imagine, where choice is lost and drink or whatever your poison is takes over and makes us all as sick as we can be..
I don’t feel special and different this morning, just grateful to wake up. Special and different does not apply to anyone. We are merely on journey’s where we can be unique and authentic in our travels, yet each of us has equal rights and equal sized conundrums.
Rock bottom, I was once asked how many I needed in this life? Some of my rock bottoms could be as bad as the next, and truthfully the worst of it was lived in stupor.
Rock bottom a nasty reminder when we recall that life did not work at all, the rock bottom is just as bad, no matter what takes to it, it’s as bad as it needs to be before we surrender and realise self-will, will never work when we are up against rampant addiction.
As the specials and differences were clearly articulated last night, and there seemed a bit of a scramble to speak, and mostly in long moments where we have heard it all before, maybe my agitation made me come away early.
It never sits well to hear people with lots of recovery time sound off as different and special, as if they have found a path superior to us inferior ordinary alcoholics..
Today
Its bank Holiday Monday
The bank holiday is as usual cloudy and likely to be wet. Not the wet of wet places where alcohol flows for me. I am free of that torment and glad to report, that life is pretty ok.
Gratitude
Seems I might have been served more to write a gratitude list last night, a gentle reminder that I am alive, I cope with what is on my agenda as best I can. That there is room for improvement one day at a time. And it’s quite difficult I know, but worth the effort to get out and see people in the world.
I have friends who are about and I am uncertain where they are in recovery terms.
Seems the recovery road changes daily for us all and some may be feeling left out, left behind or starting all over again. The problem never goes away.
No Holidays in recovery?
In some ways when we get clear of our rock bottom, when we find honesty and truth and support and fellowship, well maybe the holiday is always there on a daily basis. The holiday we have as we are free from addiction in our recovering state. In deed our day at a time is not only a utility, it opens the doors to a way of living which helps us make progress and able to live life as well as we may.
I am relieved in many ways that there are no holidays from ourselves on this road of recovery, as often when we least expect temptation, it hits us right between the eyes. As I write I feel secure. That the one day I have and the routines established, and the return to living in the day works, as long as I work at it and recognise everyone deserves the same opportunity, at progress and not perfection.
Progress
Slow or fast as we progress, there is no examination, there is no reward beyond life itself, and that reward, the best of it and the worst of it, keeps us informed and on a track of usefulness again. A gift, this one life. Sometimes we might be taken aback and unaware of what we may encounter. Whether it’s good or bad, at least we are here to be a part of it. And this change in me, to be able to understand the gift, well that is beyond any dream I ever had to get this far along in a precarious life like mine. And these days it’s just as it may be, no more special or different than any other.
Except to me of course, it’s the only one I have, just like you!


-/-
AA Daily Reflection: "RESPECT FOR OTHERS... Such parts of our story we tell to someone who will understand, yet be unaffected. The rule is we must be hard on our self, but always considerate of others. ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 74

Respect for others is the lesson that I take out of this passage. I must go to any lengths to free myself if I wish to find that peace of mind that I have sought for so long. However, none of this must be done at another’s expense. Selfishness has no place in the A.A. way of life. When I take the Fifth Step it’s wiser to choose a person with whom I share common aims because if that person does not understand me, my spiritual progress may be delayed and I could be in danger of a relapse. So I ask for divine guidance before choosing the man or woman whom I take into my confidence."

-/-
AA Official Site Daily Reflections ~ AA Official Big Book And Twelve And Twelve Online
-/-
"Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs. Chapter 6, Into Action, Big Book From: Page 72 Thru: Page 75, the bottom of the page. 12 And 12 Step 5."
May ~ All About Step Five:"Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs"
Step 5 "Admit And Accept" Reading Video Link:

-/-
May ~ Video Reading Chapter Six Into Action Link:

-/-
I do not speak for Alcoholics Anonymous I speak for myself. Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of unique and authentic people who speak for themselves where they will to share experience, strength and hope about recovery on a daily basis. Anonymity affords sanctuary to find how to live sober and be open, honest and willing to learn life day by day. For me "truth," "love" and "wisdom" offer the best spiritual experience by living reality today. Into the fabric of recovery from alcoholism are woven the Twelve Steps and the Twelve Traditions, steps to be open, honest and willing to learn, traditions to live unity, service and recovery.
-/-
Spiritual principles ~ Forgiveness Acceptance Surrender Faith Open-mindedness Honesty Willingness Moral-inventory Amends Humility Persistence Spiritual-growth Service
-/-

No comments: