Tuesday 5 June 2012

June 5 2012 | AA 12 Steps In Action | Step 6 Spiritual Willingness Alcoholics Anonymous

June 5 2012 | AA 12 Steps In Action | Step 6 Spiritual Willingness Alcoholics Anonymous Today's AA daily reflection: "entirely ready! Separating the men from the boys, the women from the girls…" Challenging words at the start of the step six in the 12 and 12. Was I a boy becoming a man? Emotionally and spiritually, with only half of my emotional repertoire utilised, everything was out of balance and not forming and developing day by day… That was back in the last days of drink…

Step six, personality traits overused [therefore defects] to cover up fear, putting on a brave face and ego. Not really able to develop feelings which work in the moment of now. And my shortcomings or personality traits underused, courage to change, faith and confidence. Overly reliant on fear is a motivator, then faith is difficult to develop. There will be times when fear will be oppressive, the difference is asking for help from whatever source just for a day… And then faith in the next step of living is there…

 

Entirely ready simply means ready to have a go at learning again, and from every mistake there will be a different outcome and the outcomes improve with more experience, strength and hope developing our wisdom as we move along in life. That so misunderstood word, "humility" is simply about being a learner each and every day, that the answers don't have to be inside me, and if I don't know something all I need do is ask to find the possible, the can do and cannot do in the moment of now…

 

Secrets keep us stuck, and some people say, "secrets keep us sick" and I saw this in me, and even today I can be stuck and not want to do something or forget to do something or simply want to ignore something because of my mood, my closed down thinking and inability to take action. The truth will set me free, I know it will because it always does and when I share the truth of my situation with others, they are included and they can help me. I'm not alone today and how good is that?

 

How am I feeling? My system physically seems very under par. Why? Different medications and antibiotics to deal with minor infections. What have I done? Seeing the doctor, he suggests patience. Emotionally fairly balanced about it all in the moment of now, it has curtailed my going out and taking photographs of the Diamond Jubilee, but that's okay I saw the concert last night and I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it… My mood okay, my thinking okay and my actions okay in the moment of now…

 

 

AA Daily Reflections ~ "ENTIRELY READY? “This is the Step that separates the men from the boys.”. . . the difference between “the boys and the men” is the difference between striving for a self-determined objective and for the perfect objective which is of God. . .  It is suggested that we ought to become entirely willing to aim toward perfection. . . The moment we say, “No, never!” our minds close against the grace of God... This is the exact point at which we abandon limited objectives, and move toward God’s will for us.  TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, pp. 63, 68, 69

 

Am I entirely ready to have God remove these defects of character? Do I know at long last that I cannot save myself? I have come to believe that I cannot. If I am unable, if my best intentions go wrong, if my desires are selfishly motivated and if my knowledge and  will are limited — then I am ready to embrace God’s will for my life."

 

DonInLondon 2005-2011

 

The principles of unity, service and recovery, sharing experience strength and hope. Equality is at the heart of fellowship, our "anarchic democracy." No rules or laws. Inclusion not exclusion. In fellowship, the rooms provide sanctuary to experience truth, love and  wisdom. Freedom from oppression, free to make informed choices and live life on life's terms today...

 

Truth Will Set Us Free... We have no monopoly on truth, it takes courage to face the truth because we cannot control the outcomes. If we hold back on our truth, we exclude others from their choices. For me God is truth, it offers a freedom, forgiveness and  acceptance of life today

 

All we do is try... If we are to maintain our path of open honest and willing, we need be aware where our defects of character can block our progress. Fear of being found out often hampers as shame and guilt prevail. Secrets keep us sick, truth offers freedom for  recovery to prevail...

 

 

June 5 2007 ~ Solutions - DonInLondon ‘Day In The Life’

 

My fellows and me. We in Alcoholics Anonymous, a fellowship of men and women who prefer not to drink a day at a time, have problems in the millions and solutions in the millions.

 

Millions of everyday problems and millions of everyday solutions. It’s an attitude of mind. And of course we learn simply one day at a time to tackle the day as best we may making progress and not seeking perfection. After all, can we solve our whole life problems in  a day? No we cannot and are as good at solutions as we learn by the day.

 

Not Perfect

 

If it were a perfect world life would be so much easier and we would need no fellowship to keep us on track a day at a time. It’s more confusing than this because we all have our own stuff to deal with, and no prepared answers, it’s just as it may be today.

 

Choice A day at a Time

 

And of course we get our choices back in recovery, from being these crazy people who hide, live in denial a lot of the time, and then start to emerge and do things normal people do like be part of the community, endeavour to live as best we can, deal with our stuff  and be kind, be open honest and willing to do the next right thing.

 

Today

 

That is at the time of writing this its June 4th, so you get to read it June 5th or later as you find my words. Today I saw a part of a news programme on Channel Five here in the UK called the Wright stuff. Presented by Mr. Wright himself. He has guests who talk  about topical issues and often make a lot of sense to me.

 

Context - The National Health Service

 

So I listened to debate about our brilliant and expensive Health Service, part of our welfare state. We all recognise its over managed and underperforming. Just like most humans these days I might reflect.

 

Priorities

 

Scarce resources means that we have to rank or choose who needs what most. And the problem as we can often hear is the UK population has neglected its health for decades.

 

Or after decades to fail to educate we have lots of people with medical issues. And worse medical advances which might prevent or cure!

 

People get ill, they get help and sometimes we have prejudice against some people with maladies we don’t fully understand.

 

Mental and Physical Health

 

In this country what manifests as physical health issues often have a background of mental health issue as well.

 

Smokers and Drinkers

 

It was suggested by a panel member this morning that smokers and drinkers are less deserving of medical support than ordinary people who don’t drink or smoke. All they need is will power to stop bad behaviour.

 

Fat People

 

It was suggested that fat people or in the common language of today obese people, are less deserving than normal people who are not fat, and don’t smoke and don’t drink. All they need is will power to stop bad behaviour.

 

Thin People

 

Of course thin people who don’t drink or smoke or indulge in any obsessive behaviour are perfectly right for top priority in this new regime of healthy living and being first in the queue for health treatment.

 

Where are the Normal People?

 

On the assumption that all the people who are normal and don’t require medical support, we assume the National Health Service is spending too much money on sick people and not enough money on healthy people who occasionally get sick. With a bit of will power  they too can probably overcome most of their ailments? I don’t know.

 

Self Inflicted Wounds

 

Some people inflict their maladies on themselves. According to the panelist with will power.

 

Insanity?

 

If we knew in our early life that taking one drink, taking one cigarette, eating a bar of chocolate would render us to poor health and being addicted, I guess we all have the opportunity to either accept we may become addicted or use will power and not become  addicted.

 

Insanity?

 

Do people self harm because they know the risks? Do people become obsessed because they cannot utilise their will power to stop bad behaviour?

 

Insanity?

 

Is it wise to suggest will power is the deciding factor in medical support and priority? Or is to decide to know that some people will become addicts and self-obsessed with addictions they cannot manage or utilise will power to stop.

 

Denials of Human Doings

 

A panelist on a TV show who sits in judgment on more than half the population who through no fault of their own making, become ill because of addictive personalities is an ignorant panelist and an ignoramus who is so egotistical he will never know what damage  his words make on many, and worse he will not care. After all he is a prime example of a Jackass.

 

The Jackass

 

The Jackass who is so imbued with will power ignores the human condition, ignores medical knowledge and puts blame on people who without too much thought admittedly got led into addiction in the first place.

 

 

Self-righteous humbuggers like the Jackass panelist don’t know much beyond themselves and their own outlook and don’t represent a medical opinion. Hopefully they don’t.

 

Politicians

 

They have to work out what to do with the money available. And when we have a medical system in crisis because politicians don’t know how to manage anything much but themselves, we get attitudes and dogma which utilises rhetoric to blame the population rather  than those who sit and govern the country.

 

Politicians who judge people so badly that they make decisions based on economy and not reality deserve to flounder as does the Jackass panelist on the TV show this morning.

 

Tonight

 

I reflect without the help of medical support I would be dead. And you know what, I make more of a contribution to people welfare than most politicians who sit and judge and blame. I work to solutions and helping in fellowship. Not like the ignoramus Jackass on  the Telly today.

 

I am not smug in my view. I am completely saddened by the Jackass who does not understand and does not want to in their insulated and safe world.

I bet the fear that Jackass has about living is giving them torment most days about most of life and living. What a prick he is.

 

Sadly

 

He is not the only one. And even in medical circles as we develop our understanding of mental health issues connected to most normal peoples maladies, judgment and prejudice rule when there are insufficient funds and insufficient skilled resources.

 

Education Education Education

 

Tony Blair leaves office, he has done little to educate Jackass Smartass people. He has employed them to spin and defer responsibility in the jargon of empowerment and self-management to the masses who learn to live from the previous generation.

 

Tony Blair

 

The to do list has been ticked in his book, and no doubt he has awarded himself so many gold stars he is blind to the mess he has made of the UK economy and the development of blame and judgmental assessors who don’t know their arse from their elbows.

 

With Tony Blair, the good time Prime minister who sits with denials coming out of his ears can just about listen only to the Jackasses around him. Well what might we expect from guests on a TV programme about life?

 

In fairness to Mr. Wright

 

Yes I need to be fair here. Mr. Wright has enough gumption and challenged the will power expert, but to no avail. After all Jackasses cannot change their outlook by their definition they have no need to be different.

 

The Wright Stuff Channel 5

 

Excellent and thank you for offering me solace. And knowing that I am one of the lucky ones some ways along in recovery, unlike millions still burdened and trying to find their solutions.

 

Self Inflicted Wounds

 

My self-inflicted wounds were handed me in my early years by another generation either through nature or nurture. I don’t have any blame for them or me. As to the future if its left up to Jackasses and self-serving gold star politicians to make this world a better  place, we will end up in more chaos and stupidity than ever. Why am I so forgiving of them?

 

One day

 

One day people will learn they can change unless they are truly stupid and mentally retarded. That is normal people who are not stubborn fools with ignorance inside them.

 

Fortunately most people know different and throwbacks like today’s panelist are probably less prevalent? I hope.

 

For ordinary people who face mental health issues like me, and find a path just in the day to make life work and be a part of society again, well we are learning as best we can.

 

Addiction

 

Will power will kill an addict faster than anything else as they struggle to get sober and clean. Will power and self-determination kills addicts. Fellowship and simple living offers a solution and way to be in recovery. And just to get to ordinary again.

 

No one is special and different, no one is worth less than another in this world. Or this world will lose its way again and again.

 

Finally Tonight

 

I got my three year chip of sobriety. And from my home fellowship group, who do more than keep me sober, they keep me on the path to solutions a day at a time, and living to good principles and values.

 

Without Prejudice! Apart from my attitude towards Jackasses? Well you never know, they may find their way too. Forgive them yes, listen to their clap trap yes, we need know who needs educating or we all are at peril in this very big bad wonderful world.

-/-

Step 6 "Spiritual Willingness" Reading Video Link:

Step Six Reading

wrongs. Chapter 6, Into Action, Big Book From: Page 72 Thru: Page 75, the bottom of the page. 12 And 12 Step 5."

-/-

June ~ Video Reading Chapter Six Into Action Link:

Chapter Six Into Action

I do not speak for Alcoholics Anonymous I speak for myself. Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of unique and authentic people who speak for themselves where they will to share experience, strength and hope about recovery on a daily basis. Anonymity affords

sanctuary to find how to live sober and be open, honest and willing to learn life day by day. For me "truth," "love" and "wisdom" offer the best spiritual experience by living reality today. Into the fabric of recovery from alcoholism are woven the Twelve Steps and the

Twelve Traditions, steps to be open, honest and willing to learn, traditions to live unity, service and recovery.

-/-

Spiritual principles ~ Forgiveness Acceptance Surrender Faith Open-mindedness Honesty Willingness Moral-inventory Amends Humility Persistence Spiritual-growth Service

-/-

No comments: