Monday 24 June 2013

Alcoholics Anonymous | June 24 | DonInLondon | Step 6 "Let Go"



June 24 2013: step six in mind… "It is inevitable that people will make assumptions about us, our outlook and judge what we do. People will let us down because they can, and they don't even know they have let us down because of their fixed outlook and inability to see the big picture of what they do. Whatever happens, it is important that we can forgive the mistakes, the assumptions and expectations others have about us as people, or we will be driven mad trying to set the record straight!"

According to my family, the delivery of a hamper by some contractors as an offer of compensation for their poor craftsmanship and inappropriate behaviour is insulting to me as a human being. I don't know the motives behind being given some dried goods, and tinned processed goods which are in the main inappropriate for me as a type I diabetic. If I lived in the diet of food given to me as a matter of routine, I would develop numerous complications and my life would be shortened as a result… Not very good.

Knowing what I can do and what I cannot do and the difference between the two is of primary importance. Any time of day there will be challenges to our own outlooks, our own attitudes and our own behaviour. Thank goodness I have some timeless principles which are about living to the truth, being open, honest and willing, and trying my utmost to be willing and behave with integrity. When things go wrong, we can accept what has happened. And at the same time point out the consequences. The consequences of some actions by others need be challenged when matters are important and not only affect me, they effect others too. We all have a right to be heard and challenged and this can be done. Letting go the old notions and righteousness is really helpful, because sometimes, and quite often in my experience, people will not be able to accept my view or the views of others, because it is too painful and it does not fit with the reality they see today… Let go, forgive and move on and enjoy the reality of today…

Alcoholics Anonymous DonInLondon "Step Six Collection" June 24 2013

Alcoholics Anonymous, 12 Steps AA, AA Step 6, Addiction And Recovery, DonInLondon, Don Oddy,

No comments: