Friday 16 May 2014

Alcoholics Anonymous Blog & Video | May 16 2014 | DonInLondon

Alcoholics Anonymous Blog & Video | May 16 2014 | DonInLondon

 

 

May 16 Video

 

May and step five, all about the truth, admitting and accepting it. Where I came from has a lot to do with the outlook I developed in my teenage years, and even before that, the rot had set in. When it came to alcoholism, I can't say my father was an alcoholic, only he would be able to say that, at the same time I drank like he did. And then even worse, I suspect I drank more than he did, simply because I could afford to, having worked very hard to be able to buy the best of booze back in the day. And my father had a rotten childhood, illegitimate, his adoptive parents did their best, but they too had been wounded by life and world events. How many generations back do we go to find the answers? No need to go back at all, it only confirms we are what we are.

 

Truth is the best kindness, sometimes we look to create little white lies, which become great big whoppers and we are last to see how badly we have bent the truth. And we are what we are, lucky to be sober one day at a time. And even then, the battle in sobriety is always around the truth and how to deal with it. I'm immensely grateful for every single human being in recovery, helping me to determine what the truth is one day at a time.

 

I know that my father was often hungry, angry, lonely and tired. Because I had been hungry, angry, lonely and tired all the way to recovery. And even in the first days, weeks and months, the mystery of recovery, kept me in a place of hunger, rage, isolation and insomnia. There is no blame for our emotional upset, we could blame the world to the end of time, but it would not make a difference. What made the difference was understanding my feelings and then being able to do something about it. Telling the truth to other human beings and surrendering to truth on a daily basis. There is nothing wrong with the truth, it is what we do with it, and most often can be to hide the truth, just in case it might hurt us.

 

We can all see hungry, angry, lonely and tired people around us. Not only in recovery, by simply walking down the road, in the family, community, work and all the media. Whether a person is in recovery or not, often a kindly word, without intrusion, we might just strike a conversation which helps ever so slightly. Ego, pride and fear will close anyone down on any given day. Courage, faith and confidence, and building these feelings in others feels like the right path today.

 

Step Five Video 12 And 12

Step Five Video 12 And 12

 

Alcoholics Anonymous Videos, AA is for Alcoholics, AA 12 Steps, Addiction And Recovery, DonInLondon, Don Oddy,

No comments: