Friday 7 November 2014

Alcoholics Anonymous Blog November 7 2014 "Truth Love Wisdom”

Alcoholics Anonymous Blog November 7 2014 "Truth Love Wisdom”

 

Video November 7 Video

Video November 7 Video

 

OMG step eleven: "sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood him, praying only for knowledge of his will for us and the power to carry that out." Nobody in the fellowship has ever tried to impose their idea or understanding of their higher power upon me. I have asked for guidance on a daily basis to be able to define God, unfortunately, nothing absolutely nothing comes close. And yet, how often does God intervene in my life? Every single day of course.

 

I've been missing from Facebook for a number of weeks. Going to meetings every day, sometimes twice a day, simply because I feel better for them, keep my inner being balanced and helping face-to-face locally. And I simply seemed to need a break from writing about recovery, having done so on a daily basis for about ten years. And for seven years on Facebook. And yet every day, I hear wisdom and learn something new which helps me in recovery.

 

The media, TV, newspapers and all sorts of politicians have been banging on about the nation's health. If it's not smoking, if it's not alcohol, if it's not sugar, and if it is not drugs, and if it's not exercise, it doesn't seem that human beings are doing anything to keep their health and sanity. And whatever we are doing to ourselves, the National Health Service cannot cope with it. What used to be coping mechanisms: alcohol, nicotine, sugar, drugs, lack of or too much exercise, and sex in my case as well, I only have myself to blame. The more we are made to blame ourselves for what were coping mechanisms, the more there is the likelihood that people will turn to these coping mechanisms in order to deal with life in general.

 

The reason why I mention these comfort mechanisms, is simply because whatever a human does to keep themselves sane, can become insane addictive behaviour in the long run. Somehow in recovery, we learn what is good for us on a daily basis. Some things we need abstain. And with the passing of time, some things become less important. Underneath all this there is one thing which helps me keep learning what I can do and cannot do and the wisdom to know the difference. Some people call this God, some people find their own higher power. Usually the answer becomes apparent by finding the truth of now, how to love and be loved back and find useful things to do one day at a time.

 

Human beings were built with emotions which work in the moment of now, a mind which works and thinks in the moment of now in order to cope in the moment of now. In the moment if I know how I am feeling, know how I am thinking, I am more likely to cope in the moment of now. I've come to believe that truth love and wisdom work in the moment of now. And that truth love and wisdom often comes through listening to others. Gandhi once said, "God is truth and God is love." I do believe Gandhi was on track with this. I wake up in the morning full of beliefs and opinions, and I need often to surrender to the truth love and wisdom which I find comes through others, and often my beliefs and opinions are changed on a daily basis on personal matters and matters which impact on the whole of society.

 

I surrender to the truth that I am an alcoholic in recovery. Step one: powerlessness and unmanageability comes when I do not accept the truth of my situation. And this can happen quite often if I am forgetful. I do rely on prayer and meditation, not an informal type of prayer and meditation which goes on all the time in my head, the inner voice of reason or unreasonableness. I rely on prayer for the good of everyone including me, and meditation, what can I do to be included and be part of something useful. Very simple to do and yet I can be so forgetful, I do need routine to remind myself of these simple and very helpful formal prayers and meditations. All about being included, being part of the solution and not being a problem to myself or others.

Step Eleven Reading 12 & 12

Step Eleven Reading 12 & 12

Alcoholics Anonymous Videos, AA is for Alcoholics, AA 12 Steps, Addiction And Recovery, DonInLondon, Don Oddy,

No comments: